INSTITUTE OF GEOGRAPHY
Decision No: 24CP dated 22 May, 1993 of Govement Prime Minister and by Decision No. 19/KHCNQG/QD dated 19 June 1993 of Directors of the National Centre for Natural Sciences and Technology (now the Vietnam Academy of Science and Technology); Decision No. 206/QD-VHL date 25 February 2013 of the President of Vietnam Academy of Science and Technology promulgates the Regulation on Organization and Operation of the Institute of Geography.
The signer: Professor. Academicians. Nguyen Van Hieu.
• Research and application of Science and Technology topics
- Researching and applying scientific and technological topics: Focusing on research directions to serve the rational use of natural resources, mitigating natural disasters, protecting the environment, managing and developing the economy of Vietnamese sea and islands. The staff of the Institute have been participating in performing many tasks in key state-level science and technology programs such as:
- Program of Science and Technology for socio-economic development in the Central Highlands in the period of 2016-2020.
- Key science and technology program of the Goverment for the 2016-2020 period.
- “National Target Program” on climate change.
- “Space Science and Technology Program”
- From the above research results, many products of the project have been effectively applied in scientific and technological research in territorial planning, socio-economic development, country security, mitigating natural disasters and stabilizing the lives of localities.
- The Institute of Geography has chaired and participated in implementing many science and technology topics at all levels. From 2013 until now, the Institute has chaired the implementation of 27 state-level projects, including 4 independent topics, 3 tasks of science and technology under the Protocol, 14 topics of the state – level key program, 5 basic research projects under the National Science and Technology Development Fund (NAFOSTED), 1 environmental protection project and 5 authorized projects implemented at Vietnam Academy of Science and Technology. At the level of the Vietnam Academy of Science and Technology, the Institute of Geography has chaired the implementation of 36 topics, including 19 topics of 7 priority directions, 01 independent topic of a young offcial, 12 topics in collaborations with local departments and sectors, 3 topics in collaborations with other countries; 20 grassroots projects of young officials, 75 projects at basic level; In addition, the Institute carried out more than 30 science and technology contracts with the Departments of Science and Technology and Enterprises, with scientific non-business funding, branched with other scientific organizations with a total amount of over VND 168 billion. Research results of science and technology topics are mostly of high quality and highly appreciated by management agencies at all levels and ones in cooperation with the Institute, which make important and effective contributions to the common development of the country and geography science.
- The Institute of Geography has published over 1,000 scientific papers in prestigious international and domestic journals, in the proceedings of National and International Conference and Seminar; published over 40 monographs, reference books, instruction manuals and textbooks for the benefits of research and teaching.
• International cooperation activities in science and technogoly research
- International cooperation in the Institute"s scientific research, technology development and postgraduate training activities is quite vibrant. In the period of 2013-2018, the institute welcomed oversea delegations and took delegations out with a view to effectively implement international cooperation projects; organized seminars in which international scientists share knowledge and experience; trained and exchanged scientific staff with partners of previous relations; cooperated to research and to improve proficiency of young scientists of the Institute in the field of geography, natural resources and environment. International cooperation has brought great benefits not only in scientific research but also in training, improving proficiency of officials and publicizing of the Institute"s scientific works.
- The Institute of Geography has currently been promoting research cooperation with countries such as Russia, Denmark, Germany, Belgium, Ukraine, India, China, Japan, Taiwan, Thailand and Laos. On the occasion of this Anniversary, our Institute is honored to welcome scientists from Japan Geographic Association, Institute of Pacific Geography, Far East Institute, Russian Academy of Sciences. and Taiwan Earth Monitoring Association.
- The Institute of Geography has collaborated with international organizations to successfully organize regular scientific conferences - strengthen integration and enhance the prestige of Vietnamese geography science.
- Since 2014, according to the Prime Minister"s decision, the Academy of Science and Technology under the Vietnam Academy of Science and Technology has been established. The Department of Geography is one of 12 specialized faculties under the Academy and the Institute of Geography is the core unit of the Faculty; Currently, the Faculty has 4 doctoral training industry codes including: Natural Geography; Geography of natural resources and environment; Hydrology; Maps, Remote Sensing and Geographic Information Systems; and is managing 30 PhD students who are studying and researching at the Institute and Faculty. The Department of Geography annually enrolls from 6 to 8 PhD students for these training codes.
- Thus, since becoming a university training institution, the Institute of Geography and the Department of Geography has recruited 94 PhD students; including 53 PhD students who successfully defended the thesis and were awarded Doctorate degrees. After graduation, the PhD students continue to make important and effective contributions to scientific research and training and development of geoscience at domestic universities and research institutes. Many PhD students have become managers at ministries and departments at the central and local levels throughout the country.
- Technology transfer training
In the framework of topics and projects, the Institute has collaborated with the project managers to organize training courses to guide the use of technologies:
+ Using hydraulic hydrological models in mitigating natural disasters (floods, saline intrusion, drought ...)
2003: Second-class Labor Medal
In addition, the Institute was awarded many other awards such as VIFOTECH, Golden Globe, Creative Science and Technology Awards, individual awards for many scientists in the Institute ...