|Project's title||Research on the application and implementation of a water quality monitoring system for shrimp farming to support the development of sustainable high-tech agriculture in Ninh Thuan province, based on the Internet of Things (IoT) and cloud computing|
|Research hosting institution||Institute of Information Technology|
|Coordinating unit, co-chair||Ninh Thuan Province|
|Project leader’s name||MSc. Vuong Huy Hoang|
|Project duration||01/01/2020 - 31/03/2023|
|Project’s budget||900 million VND|
|Goal and objectives of the project||
- Conduct research and propose a solution for monitoring water quality in shrimp farming, specifically tailored for Ninh Thuan province, based on the Internet of Things (IoT) and cloud computing.
- Implement a pilot project and transfer the technology for the water quality monitoring system to Ninh Thuan province
- Theoretical results:
The application and deployment of a water quality monitoring system for shrimp farming in Ninh Thuan province, based on the Internet of Things (IoT) and cloud computing, is researched and proposed. This solution aims to enhance the automatic monitoring capabilities of water quality, not only for the shrimp farming industry but also for environmental monitoring in general. By embracing the Industry 4.0 revolution and utilizing IoT and cloud computing technologies, the modernization of agriculture is achieved while reducing the reliance on cumbersome wired infrastructure for network deployment and operations. The system encompasses the development of remote monitoring tools, such as web server-based software systems and mobile applications, which provide management, storage, analysis, and evaluation of the collected data through advanced processing algorithms.
Form 1: Publication
o Paper in the Proceedings of the 24th National Conference: Selected Issues in Information Technology and Communication - Thai Nguyen, 13-14/12/2021.
o Paper published in the Journal of Mining Science and Technology - July 2022 issue.
Form 2: Intellectual Property
o Useful Solution No. 5464w/QĐ-SHTT (accepted valid application) dated 31/03/2022 by the Intellectual Property Office for the useful solution: "Indirect measurement method for ammonia (NH3) ratio used in aquaculture water environmental monitoring system."
o ES-AquaPanel: An automated water quality monitoring station for shrimp farming.
o ES-AquaGateway: A central monitoring device for the ES-AquaPanel system
o ES-AquaServer: Operating software on the cloud server for the ES-AquaPanel system.
o ES-AquaViewer: Software on Android handheld devices for the ES-AquaPanel system.
- Applied results:
o Contributing to the integration of science and technology into the development of high-tech agriculture plays a crucial role in reducing the monitoring tasks of facilities, controlling environmental changes, enhancing the quality of animal products, and improving management efficiency for both individual establishments and broader regions.
o The results obtained from monitoring the water quality in shrimp farming can be utilized to assess the water and soil environment (such as the risk of salinity intrusion) in planned shrimp farming areas at both individual establishments and regional levels. The environmental data serves as valuable input for researchers involved in planning and utilizing aquaculture areas in general and shrimp farming in particular.
o The objective of this research is to establish an automated water quality monitoring system for shrimp farming, enabling continuous and real-time monitoring and providing prompt alerts in response to environmental fluctuations. This system aims to replace manual monitoring, which is often hindered by weather conditions and geographical limitations. It is designed to overcome the natural challenges faced in Ninh Thuan province, such as arid and hot weather conditions, as well as saline air.
o Enhancing the application of science and technology in the aquaculture sector, with a focus on sustainable high-tech agriculture, involves building a comprehensive database to support analysis, evaluation, and forecasting activities.
o The implementation of a water quality monitoring system, specifically for shrimp farming and aquaculture in general, is an essential initial step toward achieving these goals
|Novelty and actuality and scientific meaningfulness of the results||
The water quality monitoring system for shrimp farming serves the development of high-tech agriculture in Ninh Thuan province with the aim of improving the effectiveness of shrimp care through the application of science and technology, leading to socio-economic benefits. Additionally, the system also establishes a foundational platform for developing the ability to forecast the water quality of aquaculture, supporting decision-making for users in the future. The new results of this research project include:
- The hardware of the system is designed to withstand the harsh weather conditions (hot, humid, characteristic of the saline air in Ninh Thuan province) and practical production conditions.
- The system is implemented with a wide-area wireless network model using LoRa, with each central station capable of managing up to 100 independent measuring points.
- The integrated software system applies an indirect measurement method to determine the ammonia (NH3) ratio in water based on direct measurement indicators such as temperature, pH, and salinity.
- The system also contributes to environmental management at shrimp farming facilities, helping management units monitor the water environment to assess the operational efficiency of the facilities and potential environmental pollution risks.
- In the field of automation, enhancing the application of automated monitoring is not only beneficial for shrimp farming but also for environmental monitoring in general.
In the field of information technology, the application of IoT in modernizing agriculture reduces the reliance on cumbersome wired infrastructure for network deployment and operations. The system establishes remote monitoring tools such as web-based software systems and mobile applications, providing management, storage, analysis, and evaluation utilities for the database.
Overall, the water quality monitoring system for shrimp farming combines advancements in automation and information technology to support the development of high-tech agriculture, ensuring efficient operations and contributing to environmental management in the aquaculture sector.
|Products of the project||
- Scientific papers in referred journals (list):
o Vương Huy Hoàng, Phạm Ngọc Minh, Vũ Văn Hiệu, Vũ Thị Quyên, "Development of an IoT system for automatic control of water quality in aquaculture", Proceedings of the 24th National Conference: Selected Issues in Information Technology and Communication - Thai Nguyen, 13-14/12/2021.
o Vương Huy Hoàng, Phạm Ngọc Minh, Ngô Duy Tân, "Application of an indirect method for determining the ammonia (NH3) ratio in an aquaculture water environmental monitoring system", Journal of Mining Science and Technology - July 2022 issue
- Patents (list): Useful Solution No. 5464w/QĐ-SHTT (accepted valid application) dated 31/03/2022 by the Intellectual Property Office for the useful solution: "Indirect measurement method for ammonia (NH3) ratio used in aquaculture water environmental monitoring system."
- Technological products (describe in details: technical characteristics, place):
- Other products (if applicable):
o Documentation for the design of the ES-AquaPanel automatic water quality monitoring station for shrimp farming.
o Documentation for the design of the ES-AquaGateway central monitoring device.
o Documentation for the design of the ES-AquaServer cloud server software.
o Documentation for the design of the ES-AquaViewer software on handheld devices.
o Documentation on the testing and evaluation process of the entire system.
o Publication of research results (2 scientific papers) and 1 accepted valid useful solution.
o Certification documents for the inspection and calibration of measurement devices
- Department of Fisheries of Ninh Thuan Province
- Anh Khoa Company, Ninh Thuan Province
After completing the acceptance test, it is recommended to transfer the system to Anh Khoa Aquaculture Facility in Ninh Thuan Province for further evaluation of its performance, quality, and durability. This will allow for additional assessment of the system's capabilities and reliability in a real-world operational setting. The evaluation process can provide valuable feedback for further improvements and optimizations, ensuring that the system meets the specific needs and requirements of Anh Khoa Company in their aquaculture operations.
|Images of project||