|Building an online editing and publishing management system using the Open Journal Systems platform for the scientific journals of the Vietnam Academy of Science and Technology
|Research hosting institution
|Publishing House for Science and Technology
|Project leader’s name
|Nguyen Xuan Giao
|01/01/2021 - 31/12/2022
|1,000 million VND
|Goal and objectives of the project
Building an online editing and publishing management system aimed at managing publishing tasks in a scientific, time-saving manner while also accelerating the pace, improving the quality of publication, and promoting the dissemination of journals worldwide. The new system aims to update the latest publishing technologies and utilities worldwide, exploit and develop new modules to serve management tasks, which will help to increase efficiency and ensure information security in the management and online publishing of scientific journals.
- Conducting an overview study of online management, editing, and publishing tools and the reasons for choosing to build an online publishing system on the OJS 3.X platform.
- Developing new software features, including:
• Building a system that uses both English and Vietnamese languages to diversify the user base
• Integrating modules for Google Analytics statistics, Crossref plagiarism checking, DOI management and allocation
• Building and integrating a module for financial management support
• Building a MailServer system to support the smooth operation of the online publishing system
- Applying the implementation in the online journal management task of the Vietnam Academy of Science and Technology (VAST) during 2021-2025.
• Designing website interface, online review templates and user guides
• Converting the data from the old system (http://vjs.ac.vn) to the new system (https://vjs.ac.vn)
The task was carried out with the following 6 main contents:
Content 1: Conducting an overview study of online editing and publishing management, surveying the application of online management and publishing software in Vietnam.
Content 2: Analyzing requirements and designing detailed system software for online management and publishing with new features: using 2 languages (English and Vietnamese), integrating modules for statistics, plagiarism checking, DOI management and allocation, financial management support.
Content 3: Building new software for online management and publishing with new features such as the use of two languages, integration of plagiarism checking, DOI management and allocation, online review proposal, traffic statistics, financial management support.
Content 4: Designing the website interface for 8 journals.
The website interfaces of the journals were designed to meet the objectives and provide necessary information to the end-users (authors, readers) with customizable interfaces that are suitable for different reading devices.
Content 5: Updating the database of 9,200 articles that were published before 2021. The database conversion process followed proper procedures and steps, including system testing and trial, and was officially put into operation, meeting the requirements of the task, including:
• The database contains complete metadata information of the articles.
• The content of the files match completely with the corresponding articles.
• Ensure the links are correct to the cover files, teamplate article files.
• The information about the journal introduction, editorial board has been arranged and reorganized, ensuring the journal's operation.
• The usage instructions for authors, reviewers, and editors are updated fully on the system.
• Number of articles that have been converted: 9,671 (869 issues).
Content 6: Deploying the application, testing, evaluating and adjusting the software. This content is divided into 3 stages corresponding to 3 tasks:
Task 6.1. Deploying the application and testing. During the deployment and testing process, the team performed various source code upgrade steps, updating the database, and updating the user guide files from the version currently in use before upgrading (OJS 2.3.6-0) to a more stable version. During the testing phase, the deployment and testing team carefully prepared contingency plans and prepared the environment and resources for upgrading, integrating, and bringing the new system into use with the latest stable version until the time of the conversion (OJS 3.3.0-8). Then, the team upgraded the VJS system to the latest version (OJS 3.3.0-13) on December 25, 2022.
• The converted version, integrating modules that meet the requirements of the journals in all stages: Submission, Review, Editing, Production, and Publication.
• Preparing resources and materials to support the writing of user manual for different groups of users.
• Evaluation of test results shows feasibility and readiness to switch to using the new system.
Task 6.2. Evaluating the effectiveness of the system test, adjusting the supplementary modules. The new VJS system is built on the Open Journal Systems (OJS) core OJS 3.X, which has many improvements and is superior to OJS 2.X versions. Along with receiving feedback and adjustments, the new system - the main result of the task " Building an online editing and publishing management system using the Open Journal Systems platform for the scientific journals of the Vietnam Academy of Science and Technology" is rated to be stable. Preparation of database conversion steps and user guides are ready for journals to go into use.
Task 6.3. Writing user guides for editors-in-chief, section editors, authors, and expert reviewers. Writing user guides has been prepared in detail in parallel with the database conversion test and system upgrade. The user guide has helped the editorial staff understand the system's operating process and assist in the training, implementation of the VJS system. The user guide has detailed the specific elements for each journal while still ensuring consistency between the user guide of each journal and the common features of the system.
|Novelty and actuality and scientific meaningfulness of the results
The VJS system has been built and implemented to serve the scientific journals of the Vietnam Academy of Science and Technology for publishing 08 scientific journals. With a cost of 1,000,000,000 VND for 08 journals, and a implementation time of 02 years, the VJS system has been put into use right from the beginning of implementation and in the future. According to the evaluation board, VJS has achieved important objectives, such as:
• The VJS system manages the editing and publishing process online and is the official tool for attracting article sources.
• VJS is the place for publishing electronic versions of journals, making it easier for readers and scientists worldwide to access and improve international academic exchange.
• With the support of various modules such as DOI, iThenticate, Google Scholar, and Google Analytics, the system is a powerful tool in enhancing the quality and credibility of the journals.
|Products of the project
The project of "Building an online editing and publishing management system using the Open Journal Systems platform for the scientific journals of the Vietnam Academy of Science and Technology" (Task Code: CT0000.01/21-22) has completed the work items according to the schedule. The results of the task have been implemented in the journals. Among the 08 journals that have been operating the system, 01 journal has been included in the ESCI list of Web of Science (Science of the Earth), and 02 journals are included in the SCOPUS citation list (Science of the Earth and Vietnam Journal of Science and Technology). In order for the VJS system to operate stably and efficiently, the Natural Science and Technology Publishing House recommends that the Chairman of the Vietnam Academy of Science and Technology consider investing in maintaining and developing the VJS system in the next phase with specific contents such as:
• VJS frequently needs to update bug fixes as well as add new features that are suitable for user needs and publishing trends in specific fields. At least 2 updates per year should be carried out each year;
• Regularly update the database of expert reviewers for journals. The database of expert reviewers should be complete with fields such as name, degree, position, and affiliation.
• Invest in training and technical support for users of the system, especially for editors and authors of journals.
Collaborate with international partners to improve the visibility and impact of journals published on the VJS system.
|Images of project