- Researching on fundamental problems of physical science in the fields of theoretical physics, computational physics, laser physics, optics and photonics, nuclear physics, environmental physics, automation and engineering physics.
- Researching on applications of achievements in physical science to the other fields of science and technology, manufacturing and life.
- Cooperating with the Physics Department of Graduate University of Science and Technology in education of post-graduate degrees (master and PhD).
- Carrying out activities of international collaboration with universities and research institutes abroad.
- Organizing national and international conferences, workshops and schools in the field of physics.
- Performing the assigned tasks of the International Centre of Physics in accordance with the agreement with UNESCO including international collaboration, post-graduate training and supporting researches in the field of physics at international level.
Every year the Institute of Physics is among the top research institutes in the Vietnam Academy of Science and Technology for the number of publications published in prestigious international journals belonging to the ISI list, on average about 50 papers per year. Especially, in recent years, the Institute of Physics has got a number of results published in top scientific journals of high impact factors such as Nature Communications (2017, 2018), Nature (2020), Physical Review Letters (2020). The fundamental research fields which are the strengths of Institute of Physics are theory of elementary particles and cosmology, condensed matter theory, nuclear structure and nuclear reaction, quantum information, photonics, astrophysics, biophysics…
Institute of Physics is also a leading institute in a number of applied research fields based on new achievements of optics, photonics, laser, electronics, automation, nuclear science and advanced materials… The products of such researches are scientific equipments and methods which have been successfully applied to medicine, environment, industry, communication, education and training, security-defense and scientific research. Some typical examples are: Development of LIDAR systems for aerosol and atmospheric research; Development of a system of confocal laser scanning microscope; Development of the modern ultra-short pulse laser systems; Development of the systems for bacterium removing based on ozone technology for medicine; Development of the systems of automatic washing and control of blood filters obtained after treatment of patients using artificial kidneys; Development of standard digital pulse sources applied for testing electrical equipments; Development of automatic testing devices for car repairing stations; Development of industrial electrical weights; Development of far-view and night camera lens… Recently, Institute of Physics has successfully developed a cold plasma emitting device to support medical wound treatments, for which the Intellectual Property Deparment of the Ministry of Science and Technology has issued the exclusive patent in 2015. The PlasmaMed device manufactured by this patent has been approved to be used clinically and until now has been applied in wound treatment in more than 60 hospitals and many beauty salons throughout the country, including major central hospitals.
A number of scientists of Institute of Physics have received prestigious national scientific awards such as the Vietnamese Talents prizes given to Prof. Tran Duc Thiep and Prof. Nguyen Van Do in 2011, the Ta Quang Buu prize given to Assoc. Prof. Nguyen Ba An in 2015, and the Ta Quang Buu young prize given to Dr. Phung Van Dong in 2016 etc.