The Vietnam Academy of Science and Technology (VAST) is a goverment agency, earlier known as Vietnam Academy of Science, established in 1975 by Decree 118/CP dated 20 May 1975 and issued by the former Council of the Vietnam Government. The VAST is committed to
- carrying out basic research in natural sciences and technology development ;
- providing objective grounds for science and technology management, for shaping policies, strategies and plans for socio-economic development;
- training high quality human resources for science and technology.
Missons and Rights
- Carry out basic research in natural sciences and technology in the areas of mathematics, physics, chemistry, biology, biotechnology, information technology, electronics, automation, space technology, material science, biodiversity and the bioactive substances, earth science, marine science and technology, environment and energy, forecasts, prevention and mitigation of natural disasters;
- Conduct synthetic research on natural resources, natural conditions and environment;
- Implement, apply and transfer scientific and technological research results.
- Train high quality human resources for science and technology;
- Organise postgraduate education in natural science and technology;
- Popularise and dessiminate knowledge and results of scientific research and technology development to satisfy requirements for expansion of science and technology markets.
- Participate in evaluating technology level, examining and approving techno-economic theoretical foundations of key state and regional projects;
- Make proposals and supervise the implementation of key State-level scientific and technological programs;
- Produce reports and provide information on earthquake and tsunami warnings for authorised agencies.
4. International cooperation
- Carry out international cooperation in science and technology;
- Organise and oversee the implementation of international cooperation programs and projects;
- Host international conferences and workshops, manage international meetings and cooperation plans of research units of the VAST.
5. Academy management
- Determine VAST investment projects;
- Prepare the annual budget estimate of the VAST to be submitted to authorised State agencies;
- Establish target allocations, inspect the spending and take full responsibility for budget settlement statement;
- Conduct financial and asset management activities of the VAST.
- Execute other missions and rights assigned by the Government and the Prime Minister.
Organization of VAST
Vietnam Academy of Science and Technology has 51 subordinate units, including:
• 33 Research Units (27 Units established by Government and 06 Units established by VAST President)
• 06 Administrative Units
• 07 Other Units
• 04 Self-financing Units
• 01 State Enterprise.
All of these are main in Hanoi, Phu Tho, Haiphong, HoChiMinh city, Nhatrang, Dalat, Hue.
VAST’s major activities include:
- Following research duties and implementing them in line with state-ranked major scientific and technological programs and 7 VAST-ranked prioritised scientific and technological methods; carrying out projects about environmental protection in East Sea and islands and other unscheduled duties directed by Prime Minister.
- Further applying research results in science and technology to life and production reality; including projects about rural fresh water and environment hygiene, pilot production projects, and other contracts about science and technology with state businesses.
- Implementing duties on constructing and developing infrastructure construction for scientific and technological research; especially building working infrastructure, enhancing research equipments, and constructing laboratories.
- Carrying out VAST’s frequent duties, especially management, effective use of state budget, international cooperation enhancements, and research coordination expansion at university and under-graduation levels.
VAST’s priority directions in scientific research and technology development approved by Government:
- Information technology, Electronics, Automation and Space technology;
- Materials Science;
- Biodiversity and biological active substances;
- Earth Sciences;
- Environment and Energy;
- Marine science and Technology.
In the coming years, VAST will focus the resources on the following activities:
1. Preparing a development plan of VAST for the period 2011 – 2020, with a vision to 2030; carrying out important projects: Vietnam Museum of Nature, High-Tech Branch in Hoa Lac (including Hoa Lac Space Center), High-Tech Center in Thanh Loc (Ho Chi Minh City), network of Earthquake Monitoring and Tsunami Warning Stations, Central Building of VAST; actively cooperate with the Ministry of Education and Training in the project of establishing Hanoi University of Science and Technology.
2. Carrying out important S&T projects: VNREDSat-1, Space S&T program, overall project on the investigation and management of marine environmental resources by 2010, a vision to 2020 (Decision 47/2006/QÐ-TTg dated 1/3/2006 by the Prime Minister).
3. Operating VAST key laboratories.
4. Improving of information and communication infrastructure: wide area network, internet connection, website.
5. Standardizing and institutionalizing the management, application of ISO standards in management.
6. Organizing VAST-wide activities, coordination of joint activities of subordinate units.
7. Promoting international co-operation.
8. Intensifying fundamental research development of technology, publishing more scientific publications in famous international journals.
VIETNAM ACADEMY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY